January 04, 2010

Yummy Soup Recipe to Share

I was planning to do my "Constant Contact, Part 2" as my next post, but since I have spent quite a bit of time on the computer preparing for this school week and balancing our checkbooks, paying bills, updating the budget, etc., I am loathe to spend any more time staring at this screen! Instead, I will copy and paste a FABULOUS soup recipe that we enjoyed at my mom's house over Thanksgiving. Ted and I liked it so much we made it for our New Year's Eve soup. (We like to have soup for Christmas and New Year's Eve dinners.) It makes a lot, so we finally finished it off today for lunch. (It may not have lasted so long if the kids actually ate soup, ha!)

Notes for substitutions or changes follow.

MEXICAN SOUP

3 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
3 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
3 14-oz. cans chicken broth
4 cups half-and-half
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup salsa
1 can creamed corn
6 boneless chicken breasts, cooked
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 pkg dry fajita seasoning
3 tbsp cilantro
tortilla chips
shredded cheese

Saute garlic and onion in butter. Add flour and stir well for one minute. While stirring, slowly add broth and half and half. Bring to a boil and reduce to low heat. Add remaining ingredients (except for chips and cheese) and heat for 15 minutes. Serve with crumbled chips and cheese.

* Instead of half and half, I used evaporated milk and skim milk.
* Mom used regular corn instead of creamed corn.
* Mom used taco seasoning instead of fajita seasoning. Both ways were WONDERFUL!

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Debi Joy said...

sounds SO good. I'll have to make this one for sure! Thanks for sharing!

Bob and Claire said...

Mmmm, sounds yummy. I wonder if it would work with just soy milk, or if it would be too thin. I could just use regular corn too, since Caleb can't do creamed . . . I love soup! So cheap, and so cozy in the winter especially!! Thanks for the recipe!