January 20, 2010

Homeschool Skate Day


In Las Vegas I took the kids to Homeschool Skate Day just a few times. It was fairly crowded, and there were a lot of older, confident skaters, way bigger and faster than my little ones. (At the time Charis, Tobin, and Arden were little!) Now, in Ohio, I've started taking the kids to the Homeschool Skate Day once a month. In December our co-op did a gingerbread house contest in conjunction with Skate Day, and that was great fun. This month I offered to take along a couple of Amy's girls, since she has younger ones that need a nap during the skating time. She kept Lucan for me, which was a huge help, and he even got a nap while we were gone.

Kenna was excited to skate with Charis's old skates now that Charis has roller blades. Kenna enjoys scooting around at home with the skates on, and even though they are much too big for her, she does a lot better with them than she does with the adjustable skates they have at the skating rink. So I decided to go ahead and bring Kenna, even though Amy offered to keep her along with Lucan.

The girls and I had a blast! This was my first time skating since I was pregnant with Kenna. I did convince the boys to go around--Arden went around once, and Tobin went around 5 times. It was like pulling a statue along; they held my hand and stood stiff as a board the whole time while I skated! At least they tried it. They usually prefer to run around and watch people playing video games or even play themselves, assuming they have enough allowance money to buy some tokens.

Kenna did quite well, and I was able to go back and forth amongst the kids, holding hands and helping out as needed. It was pretty good exercise for me, too. And hey, nothing says "socialization" quite like doing the Hokey Pokey and the Chicken Dance with a big group of people.

P.E., check. Now back to our regularly scheduled homeschool...

2 comments:

taylordi said...

Meghan's school had skate night last night and Meghan skated for an hour and half non-stop. She was one tired kid last night! She loves to skate, next time we are together we can go skating.

Susie said...

I'm a big fan of anything skate related! Hoping a Monday eveningvwill work out!