March 30, 2006

Our Day

We had a very good day today! I woke at 5:45 a.m. but didn't go running as I had originally planned, since I needed to be ready to leave the house by 8 a.m. I decided to go ahead and shower and enjoy my quiet time...the boys have been waking at 6:00 or 6:30 this week, so I never know when my "quiet" time will end! I can't wait for Daylight Savings to begin! It's so bright in the mornings, and I'm sure that is contributing to the early wake times.

Today, however, all 3 kids slept until I woke them at 7:45! We piled into the van and headed to base. The kids munched dry Honeycomb cereal and had fruit snacks for their vitamin C. I dropped them off at the youth center with my friend Dana, and they had a grand time running around in the gym while I had my doctor's appointment. All went well, considering it was a pelvic exam, and then we headed across town to the library.

We had enough time to leisurely browse for books and a couple of DVDs (including Potty Time--I've gotta get going on this with Arden!) Then we got to go to Story Time for the first time in probably a month. The kids love the family story time with the "Shake It Man," so named because of one of the songs he always does with the kids. The guy who runs this particular story hour is so hilarious, and obviously very popular. There have got to be at least 50-60 kids in there every time we go, not to mention all the parents.

When story time was over, we drove across the street to Sonic. I had thought we could eat outside, and the kids begged to do a picnic. They had all brought their blankets with them, probably because we left so soon after I woke them up this morning, so we spread out all the blankies on the grassy area in the middle of the drive-up slots and had ourselves a grand old picnic, complete with corn dogs, french fries, and lemonade for the kids and a burger and onion rings for me. They ran around in the grassy area, jumping off one of three big rocks in the middle, and generally being silly and having fun.

After lunch we made a quick trip to Sam's Club for diapers. I had been buying diapers at the commissary, but I recently realized that I can actually get them cheaper at Sam's Club. Woohoo! Hopefully we won't need them for TOO much longer. Arden is almost 2 1/2 years old now, and it's time to start training him in earnest now that warmer weather is upon us.

By the time we got home the children were begging for more food, saying they were SO hungry. Apparently the corn dogs and fries had not been enough. I told them if they were really that hungry they could eat carrot sticks and dip, and they all did! I guess they really WERE that hungry! I read our Sonlight stories to them while they munched, and that was our only "school time" for today. Arden pretty much went straight to sleep, but Tobin never did take a nap.

Still, it was a fairly quiet afternoon for me, as I caught up on some emails and phone calls and blogged a bit. Yesterday afternoon I got an hour and a half nap when all the kids slept, so I guess I shouldn't be too disappointed that Tobin didn't nap today.

After dinner Ted and I had some "couch time" while Arden and Charis played Uno and Tobin colored. Then I headed out for a run...I'm finally getting back into the exercise routine after taking a longer break than I wanted to while Ted was gone. I went 2 miles and came home in time to tuck the kids in bed after Ted was finished with their bath time. They're in bed earlier than usual tonight, but we had a big day, and Arden was the only one who napped. It's quiet now, so hopefully that means Ted and I can enjoy a relaxing evening together!

No comments: