March 20, 2006

The Melting Pot

Friday night was a date night for Ted and me. We went to the Melting Pot, a fondue restaurant. It was our first time to go; several friends had highly recommended it. We enjoyed an amazing four-course dinner:

1. Swiss cheese & artichoke dip--complete with spinach and lots of garlic! We dipped apples, fresh veggies, and a variety of breads into this scrumptious concoction.

2. Salad--we both chose Caesar salads that were much bigger than I anticipated them being.

3. Main Course--I won't even try to type out what this fancy broth was, something like "coq au vin," and it had mushrooms and some type of wine in it. We cooked our own meat in the fondue pot, plopping bits of steak, chicken, and shrimp in the boiling broth. We also cooked potatoes, broccoli, and mushrooms, and there were a variety of sauces to go with each morsel. Very interesting. It was quite good, but the best was...

4. A mixture of white and dark chocolate fondue for dessert--complete with strawberries, pineapple, bananas, marshmallows, and yummy morsels of brownies and a slice of cheesecake! Oh, my! This was fantastic!

The entire dinner took about two hours. I have never been so full in my entire life, even on the cruises I've been on! Ted and I literally hurt for nearly an hour afterwards from being so full! I decided that if/when we ever go back, I would be perfectly happy with the appetizer and dessert. The main course was good, but not something I'd crave again. Still, it was a special occasion (we were celebrating Ted's birthday a bit early, though he didn't get his presents yet!), and we enjoyed our time together.

1 comment:

Bob and Claire said...

Mmmm, there was a restaurant in Manitou Springs that was like this. We went there several times, and I remember feeling the same as you. Dessert is the best, and I wanted to lick out the bowl! : ) Fun!