September 28, 2007

The Final Word on the Move Out Date

We have the official word--we must be OUT of the house, with it "broom clean"--by 5 p.m. on October 11. We have a signed document that states we will receive $1000 if we cooperate.

Whew. That's 13 days from now! Lord, HELP!!

8 comments:

Melissa said...

Wow - what a tough time for all of you! I'm praying for guidance and strength to get through these next several days.

What about house #3 with the 5 bedrooms? I thought that one sounded nice - lower rent, more rooms, and that little park next door.

Beverly said...

Yes, we've put that one back on our list to consider! The fact that it's on a fairly busy street, plus the fact that there are tons of kids, kind of made us feel uncertain about it. I know, lots of kids for some people is a bonus! But it can also be a bit scary, considering the influence they can have on our kids and not knowing what kinds of issues would come up. Our kids haven't really ever lived near other kids, so we haven't had to deal with bad influences. Still, it could be a great opportunity, so we shouldn't let that be a huge factor in our decision.

Megan said...

If the backyard of house #3 is not fenced and is next to the park, you'll likely have every kid in the neighborhood on your trampoline--whether you're home or not! This happened to some friends of ours (they weren't near a park but had the trampoline up in an unfenced yard with plenty of neighborhood kids), and they ended up taking down the trampoline because they didn't like the liability of the neighborhood kids using it without permission. Just food for thought...

I hope you feel a peace about whichever house you choose.

Which floorplan would be easiest to "babyproof" when Kenna gets mobile? Will you worry about the older kids keeping stairway gates closed if they have to go up and down stairs a lot over the course of a day?

Beverly said...

All houses we've looked at have enclosed yards. That's pretty typical here--cinder block walls higher than eye level. Wouldn't want to make friends with the neighbors, ya know!

We thought about the split level house being difficult with baby gates. Plus, I dread the thought of hauling groceries for our crew up two sets of stairs. Even if I parked in the driveway instead of in the garage (which is at the lower level, meaning I'd have to walk through the laundry room and around to the first set of stairs, then turn and go up the second), I'd still have to walk up stairs just to get to the front door, then up the rest of the stairs to the kitchen. House #4 is not looking so good at the moment!

Megan said...

We spent 8 years having to haul groceries up 2.5 flights of stairs. Then we had to start hauling kids and stuff up and down two flights of stairs. Not fun! I am very thankful, especially in light of our current circumstances, that we don't have stairs like that to deal with anymore.

Melissa said...

I'm sure you have considered the following 2 options, but I wanted to throw them out in case you hadn't - I was praying for you guys last night and these ideas popped into my head:

1. What about moving on base? At least you would have the peace of mind knowing you wouldn't have to move again. I have no idea what the base housing is like there, but it may be worth it for Ted to stop by the housing office and explain the situation.

2. Are you able to personally talk to the people who bought the house? I guess if they bought it with the intention of moving in right away, then they wouldn't be open to letting you stay longer. But if they bought it cheap with the intention to sell, maybe they would be willing to hold off until you PCS - especially since the housing market is so horrible there.

Anyway, just some ideas that came to me.

Beverly said...

Thanks, Melissa, for the thoughts! We certainly apprciate the prayers and are open to anything God might speak through anyone else. However, with regards to these particular suggestions...

1. Now that Ted is working at Creech (30 miles north) in Indian Springs, living on base would add another 30-40 minutes commute EACH WAY! Plus, the wait for base housing is long, and with 4 kids, we'd need more space than we could get if by chance we were even able to move in soon--but moving into a base house within 2 weeks is generally unheard of from our experience. We're hoping to stick close to our current situation, as Ted hops on at the park-and-ride station which is only a few minutes away from us for his commute each day.

2. The bank bought the house--not an investor. The bank has no interest in keeping us on as renters, though you would THINK it would make sense to continue to collect rent money while waiting for the market to get better. They will definitely be losing money whenever they sell this house. If they have to/want to sell it quickly, the price is going to have to be ridiculously low...but likely still too much for us to even consider buying ourselves given that we only have about 21 months left on station.

Melissa said...

Ah I see. Well I will continue praying that God shows you the perfect house for you guys and that you feel God's peace in your decision. Big hugs to you!