October 28, 2010

Anatomy 101

So in science we've been reading about the animal kingdom.  A few days ago, after reading another characteristic about mammals--that they feed milk to their young--an interesting discussion ensued.  Arden was wondering aloud why boys have nipples when they don't nurse babies.  I thought that was an interesting question and wasn't sure how to answer, but I needn't have worried, because I soon realized there was a bit of consternation on Tobin's part when he realized we were talking about mothers having nipples. 

(I should note that during all this, Charis was sitting next to me, completely chagrined by this conversation.  I guess she's a bit sensitive after having "the talk!" You can just imagine her response when she heard what came next...)

"I thought only boys had nipples," Tobin said.  (I have NO idea where he got that idea!)  I explained that the nipples were how babies sucked the milk from their mothers. 

"I thought those were called boobs!"

[Insert muffled laughter here on my part and complete mortification on Charis's part.]

If you're familiar with our blog, you may remember Tobin's fascination with nursing after Kenna was born.  I would have thought that he would be more educated by now, LOL!

1 comment:

taylordi said...

Thanks for the chuckles! Poor Charis.