March 04, 2009

Definitely a Sonlight Moment!

I just posted the following letter in the Sonlight forums and wanted to share with our loved ones. I LOVE homeschooling, and I LOVE schooling with Sonlight materials!!!

*******************
Dear Sonlight,

I have to tell you about a precious conversation with my 8-year-old daughter, Charis, yesterday. We've been reading the biography of George Muller, which my kids are LOVING. Yesterday we read the chapter that described the confrontation that happened between George and his father, who was not at all thrilled with George's decision to become a missionary. We talked about how sad it was that his daddy didn't think being a missionary was as worthy as being a well-paid pastor.

Somehow our discussion progressed...I think I was telling the kids that Mommy and Daddy pray for them every day, and that we want them to do whatever God calls them to do and to use their gifts and talents however He leads them. At this point, Charis announced something: "Mommy, I know that God wants me to be a missionary to India."

Now, my daughter has always had a tender heart towards people who don't know the Lord, but I hadn't heard this before! I asked her when she felt God laying this on her heart, and she said she didn't know, but it was sometime this year. (As a side note, during this past year, we have said goodbye to friends who are now missionaries in India; we have participated in the Rice Bag Project; and we have read tons of great stories about missionaries, many of whom served in India, through our Sonlight reading.) Charis then went over to our markable map and pointed straight at the southern tip of India. "This is where God wants me," she said. I encouraged her and responded that Mommy and Daddy would be so happy if she followed God's call to India, if that indeed is where He will lead her, and then we got to talk about learning a new language and culture, etc.

Not to be outdone, my oldest son then said that he wants to be a preacher in Brazil. ;-)

I believe God is using all of our readings, prayer times, and discussions even now, at their tender ages, to plant seeds in the hearts of my children! I am SO GRATEFUL for these times with my children!!!

THANK YOU, SONLIGHT!!

3 comments:

As For Me and My House said...

That is so precious! I KNOW from experience that THESE are the days and moments worth living for! I am so thankful God gives us these times of encouragement :) I too love sonlight and have seen so much growth in my children (and myself) in areas I would never have known how to nurture without their guidance. Way to go! and thanks for sharing that story-- annette

Anonymous said...

Beverly, this is incredible! This is WHY the lord continues to bless you with children because He knows you will raise them up in the Lord. I see each child doing something wonderful for His kingdom. Homeschooling is such a wonderful way to ensure that their hearts and minds stay focused on Him. Charis is such a wonderful child and I truly believe that she will fulfill this childhood calling. PTL!

Luke Holzmann said...

May your children continue to follow God has He leads them, wherever and to whatever that may be. Keep up the great work!

~Luke