February 18, 2007

Getting Ready for Baby

I'm slowly starting to feel more prepared for an infant to arrive! It's funny how in some ways, though, the closer I get to the due date, the less I feel ready. I know from past experience that the birth happens, ready or not, and somehow, before you know it, the new little gift from God is as much a part of your family as any other member, and you begin to wonder what life was like before him/her. So, I guess I shouldn't be too anxious about that.

Friday afternoon I went with Debi to register at Babies R Us. I've never registered for a baby shower before (mine will be March 10, assuming I'm not in the hospital!), and it was quite fun. We had given some things away, like the bouncy seat, that we'll definitely want again, and having sorted through the baby boxes gave me a much better idea of what we still have and what we actually need. I purchased a going-home outfit for her as well as a matching T-shirt and onesie combination for Charis and her baby sister. The t-shirt says "I'm the big sister," and the onesie says "I'm the little sister." They both show a big and little "ballerina" together. Precious! We'll have to get their portraits taken in those! I can't wait to give the shirt to Charis at the baby shower.

I restrained myself from buying anything else that day...better to wait until we see what we'll need after the shower. Plus, Babies R Us is, admittedly, not the most economical place to shop for baby clothes.

Yesterday our whole family went to Target to shop for the stroller/car seat combo. I don't even remember what brand it is, but we settled on one that has an animal theme so can be gender-neutral, just in case God sends us another boy later on. It's nice, with one-handed steering, and the handle of the car seat looks to be much easier to carry than the one we had for the other three.

So, we now have a car seat and a going-home outfit! Guess we're just about ready for our new arrival, ha! My next purchase will be a pack or two or three of newborn diapers, but I prefer to get those at the BX, so I'll have to wait until I'm on base again.

1 comment:

Amos said...

Well, I don't remember if I have ever commented on your blog, but I found Sarah in CO and then found yours. It is a pleasure to read your stories. You are an amazing mother and what a joy to hear about the preparation for your new little girl. Congratulations ahead of time. Praying for a safe and easy labor and delivery for you.