April 22, 2006

New Sonlight Catalog!

I've been waiting literally weeks, and I finally got my hands on the new Sonlight catalog on Thursday. I've been devouring it page by page. Last year I read through the main articles and sort of skimmed the various offerings, but my focus was primarily on the pre-kindergarten core, which is what we purchased to use for Charis' kindergarten year (it's good for ages 4-6).

Well, this time around I am reading EVERY page! I am more impressed than ever by this company. I've read quite a few books that are included in the various cores, but I'm amazed at how many quality books I have NOT read. Me, an English major! I have to hand it to Sonlight for finding the best literature out there. This afternoon I finished reading about the high school cores, and I can hardly wait to do them with our kids! I know, I need to relax and enjoy the stage we're at, but it just seems like the cores get better and better! This only reinforces my determination to home school our kids all the way through high school. That was NOT in my plans when I first considered home schooling, but I feel my calling to do this has stretched to include every year I am blessed to have my children living in our house. If God wants us to do otherwise, I'm sure He will make that clear in His perfect timing.

In the meantime, I am loving this! I'm probably as excited about this catalog as I will be when the new Stampin' Up! catalog comes out in July, and that's really saying something! ;-) I look forward to ordering the next core for Charis' 1st grade year. I'll post more about that when the time comes.

For now, though, let the record show that my curriculum hunt is officially over. Last year I became a curriculum junkie, collecting as many catalogs as I could and highlighting and bookmarking and making notes for what we'd be doing further down the road. A detailed examination of ALL of Sonlight's cores convinces me that I need look no further. It's a perfect fit for our family, and I'm so thankful to finally feel that freedom to stop looking elsewhere! We will continue to use Math-U-See, which isn't carried by Sonlight, but as for language arts and science, plus of course the wonderful cores with Bible, history, and literature, we're going to stick with Sonlight.

That sound you heard in the background is my husband cheering heartily. :-) I think I scared him with the piles of catalogs I collected over the past year!

No comments: