July 10, 2013

Day 4--A Fresh Start

My day began around 5am with an uncomfortable awakening--painful contractions plus my arm being stiff from the IV.  After trying to get back to sleep, I gave up, freshened up in the bathroom, and let the nurses know I was having some painful contractions even with the medicine.

More monitoring.  The contractions, which were registering around 25% last night, got as high as 70% or so.  After they removed the monitors, I ate my breakfast, and soon after the doctor came in to speak with me.  The doctors (I think I've seen at least 3 or 4?) speak enough English that I can usually figure out what they are trying to tell me, and this one brought what I consider to be good news.

Since the steroid for Baby's lungs is now fully in our system, they don't like to continue the anti-contraction medicine.  So he had the nurse remove the IV (although the needle is still currently in my arm).  They want to do a blood sugar test just before lunch to see if my sugar levels could have caused the increase in contractions (which I doubt, because they were happening off and on throughout the night plus into the morning, and I didn't eat until AFTER the monitoring).  And then they will recheck my cervix.

Of course they want to keep me here at least today, possibly tomorrow, to see what happens.  IF, by chance, my cervix doesn't dilate any more, if there are NO more labor signs, they will send me home.  If labor begins in the next week, I return here immediately to deliver.  If I make it beyond that, he said it would be all right to deliver at the Support Site.  But the SS hospital is not equipped to deal with babies who arrive early, as I've already been told!  So at least all my info is already on file here.

Now that I have no meds going into my system, I feel like today will be very interesting!  I haven't noticed any increase in frequency or intensity since the IV stopped about an hour ago, so we will see what happens.  In the meantime, "Septimus" has been moving and grooving, and they have not seemed concerned about his well-being, so I refuse to worry about it either!  God is in control...He knit both Septimus AND his mama and put us here at just this time for a reason!

1 comment:

Darla said...

Following your journey and praying for you all.

Love, Darla