July 09, 2013

Day 2 at Clinica Pineta Grande

Yesterday's hospital stay was rather uneventful.  I didn't leave the room at all--no wheeling me downstairs to radiology for an ultrasound/cervix check.  A few sessions of monitoring Baby's heartbeat and my contractions and the usual taking of vital signs, and I was pretty much left alone all day.

Ted and the kids came for a very welcome visit about mid-morning.  I can't believe how much I miss our exuberant household!  I had some very sad, lonely moments after they left!  But then they delivered lunch, which was a good pick-me-up...still enjoying the meals here!

So the medical plan was to have me finish out the IV treatment and then give me oral medicine the following day (which is today).  I had some stronger contractions now and then throughout the day, but they were never very frequent, and I guess they weren't anything to cause concern when the monitoring sessions captured everything on paper.

I did enjoy a lot of quiet time--I know this is not something I can get every day, so I made the most of it:

  • Listened to worship music
  • Watched worship videos
  • Listened to a podcast of Sunday's sermon that I missed
  • Stood and did some stretching exercises multiple times during the day
  • Spent time reading through favorite portions of Isaiah and Psalms
  • Did my regular daily Bible reading
  • Prayed for my family and many of my friends (Facebook is a great way to see prayer needs!)
  • Took a nap
  • Updated our budget spreadsheet
  • FB chatted my mom and dad a bit--they are (or were) traveling home from a family reunion
  • Started reading a book Charis and Tobin wanted me to read: Science Fair by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson
  • Talked to Ted and Charis on the phone
  • Began a new My Digital Studio project
Wow!  I guess I wasn't too bored!!  I got my last set of vitals/monitoring done shortly after dinner, so I went to bed earlier (about 10ish) and managed to sleep until 7 (with a couple of potty runs).  

Now I'm awake for Day 3 in the hospital...it's a beautiful, sunny morning, my IV bottle is EMPTY, and I cannot WAIT to get this thing OUT of my arm!!  I believe they plan to monitor me another 24 hours after I begin the oral medication, so perhaps this is the last full day I will be here?  Tomorrow marks 34 weeks for "Septimus" and me (Septimus is Latin for "seven" and is our joke of a name for Baby!).  I'm hopeful we can at least make it to 35 if not 36 weeks or longer, and let me just say, I really, really hope that we don't have to go a full 40 weeks with this gigantoid of a son, LOL!

I humbly offer my very sincere thanks and gratitude for all the prayer support our family has received.  Local friends are offering meals and help with child care, and while we haven't formulated a specific plan yet since we don't know if I'll be able to do bed rest at home or if they want me at the SS hospital, we are so appreciative of all the offers and will let people know when we are ready to take them up on those offers.  

In the meantime, Ted has this whole week off work for emergency leave, and thankfully the summer is a slow time for NATO, with many folks taking vacations.  In fact, most Italians take nearly all of August off, so we were anticipating a lot of family time once Septimus was born...we just hadn't ever anticipated the possibility of him arriving BEFORE August!  And maybe he won't!

"I thank my God every time I remember you.  In all my prayers for all of you, 
I always pray with joy..."
Philippians 1:3-4

No comments: