April 14, 2007

Easter


Now that it's been nearly a week, I guess maybe I should write about our Easter! Our church had 8 services instead of the usual 5, and as they encouraged regular attenders to think about coming to an "off" service, I decided it might be a good idea to attend the Saturday afternoon service at 2:30. It was very strange getting dressed up in the middle of a Saturday, let me tell you! I think my system would go haywire if we ever had to attend Saturday evening services. I'm just so set on having "church" be a Sunday morning thing, but I'm glad that there are additional options for those who need them.

Saturday evening we made our traditional Easter Story Cookies, which involves putting the little "tombs" in the oven and "sealing" it (with tape) and waiting for the next morning, when we get to break open the cookies and find that they are hollow. We have made these for the past 4 years, and the kids love the whole process. However, since they have nuts in them (very essential for the "rocky" part of the tombs), none of the kids will actually EAT the Easter Story Cookies. Good thing I enjoy them, ha!


Sunday morning was very nice and relaxing. I hid Easter baskets for the kids outside, and they enjoyed playing with the goodies while I made our traditional Sunday-morning whole-wheat pancakes. Then we went back to church again so that I could fulfill my volunteer duties at the 11:45 service, the time I serve weekly in the pre-school ministry. After that we went home and rested a bit before going to Debi's house for a wonderful time of food and fellowship. Debi and her kids had put together an egg hunt for the kids, which was GREAT because I didn't have energy to do an egg hunt this year. We did, however, hide the "Resurrection Eggs" a few times while going through the stories associated with those.


Anyway, after the egg hunt we enjoyed a delicious dinner of honey-baked ham, cheesy hashbrown casserole, sweet potato casserole, green beans, fruit salad (the only thing I contributed to the spread!), rolls, and cute little cupcakes that looked like Easter baskets. I was very proud of the kids--they were well-mannered and ate quite well. They had so much fun playing with Kyle and Katelyn, Debi's kids. Kyle introduced them to drums--he had recently gotten a drum set and showed off a little for them, then allowed them to bang away, too. I'll have to post a picture later of Arden and his own little drum set...he has been inspired, to say the least! While the kids played, Debi and I enjoyed relaxing, visiting, and oohing and aahing over Kenna. :-)


And speaking of sweet little Kenna, here's a picture of her in her Easter outfit complete with cross bib. She promptly puked all over everything once we got to Debi's house, so it's a good thing I took a picture of her before we left!

3 comments:

Amos said...

Kenna's little "pose" in the picture of you in the kids is priceless. Like saying, "Hey, I'm the princess here" LOL. Too cute. Your family is adorable.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Beverly! I'm Sarah's sister... she sent me the link to your blog to see the picture of her kids. I just wanted to tell you that we made the Easter cookies, too, and used a block of chocolate instead of nuts. It worked fine, and my daughter (and I!) enjoyed the cookies the next day. :)

Beverly said...

Oooo! Very cool! I'll have to try that next year. Chocolate--yum, yum!