February 03, 2006

Nap Time Happenings


When I last posted, I mentioned the difficult time we've been having, particularly with Arden. I think it was the day I actually posted that this happened. After getting into trouble for climbing out of his crib three times, Arden didn't seem to be phased at all. I decided to make things hurt a bit more and took away his Blankie, shutting the door behind me. Since we put one of the doorknob covers on the inside of the boys' door, Arden was furious! He screamed and cried, but I held out and didn't take the blanket back. After awhile, his sobs began to subside, and he got quieter. I kept wondering what was going on. The last time I had shut him in his room I found him jumping on Tobin's bed! I decided to just wait it out, hoping that perhaps he would give up and go back into his bed. I thought I had taken all of the toys out of the room, but as I discovered later, that was not the case. When I realized it had been really quiet for at least 15 minutes, I decided to sneak a peek. I carefully opened the door--no response. I stuck my head in the room and found several little Lincoln Log towers that Arden had built on the floor by his crib, with the rest of the pieces strewn about the room. Hmmm. Guess I missed those! But the funniest thing was discovering that he had indeed gone to sleep, but not in his crib! He was sacked out on Tobin's bed, with his feet hanging off the edge! He must have been absolutely exhausted to fall asleep like that! I know he was, since he had not napped for several days in a row and on top of that had been getting up earlier than usual.

Yesterday, however, Arden actually did fall asleep in his crib, without escaping once! It took him about 1 hour and 15 minutes to finally fall asleep, but he stayed very quiet, singing songs to himself and babbling softly, until he finally conked out. I had high hopes for today. The first time I checked on him, I heard him talking and peeked my head around the corner. He was sitting up in his crib, with Mr. Tiger on his Blankie. Arden was wagging his finger at Mr. Tiger and saying something would happen "if you don't wie down and take a nap!" I don't know what the threat was...he looked up, saw me and immediately dove down onto the blanket himself! I encouraged him to do just what he had told Mr. Tiger and came back downstairs. Unfortunately, 10 minutes later, he was pattering around in the play area, so I have once again confiscated the blanket and shut his door. He didn't cry for long, so perhaps he had a backup plan in mind! We'll see later on!

[As a follow-up, just about the same thing happened today as happened in the above picture. There were no Lincoln Logs around this time, but he had obviously gotten out of bed again, since he was sound asleep on Tobin's bed again! I guess we have one child who will fall asleep when he really needs to. Tobin and Charis always kept themselves awake when they didn't want to take a nap!]


I haven't posted many pictures lately, so I decided to put a recent one on of all the kids with Grandma K when she was here a couple of weeks ago. Though we did snap two shots, I just had to post this one with Tobin picking his nose. :-) It really was the better of the two as far as facial expressions anyway!

No comments: