August 15, 2007

A Story by Charis

Charis had a writing assignment this week that involved her looking at a picture and writing a story about it. The picture showed a man wearing a cape and a crown, crawling out of the window of a castle as if he were running away. Charis, however, insisted that he was sneaking INTO the castle, and below is the story she came up with. I briefly mentioned the verb tense change mid-way through the story but told her she didn't need to worry about changing anything--that's a more advanced concept, and I'm not entirely sure she understood what I was talking about anyway!

FYI, the only words I corrected spelling for were climbing ("climnig"), traveled ("traved"), and babies ("babys"). Also, she typed this up herself, so all the punctuation and capitalization was done on her own, and I noticed as I read through it that it is all correct. I thought that was pretty good! So, without further ado, here is the story:

"A prince was climbing up a castle. He had on a cape and was holding a stick with a bundle tied to it. He had traveled to look at the castle. He did not want the guards to know he was there. The window is closed. The prince breaks the window. No one hears him. He hides. He explores the castle when everyone is asleep. He finds a princess. They get married and have twin babies, a boy and a girl. They live happily ever after. The End."

4 comments:

Amos said...

Wow, great job Charis! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Charis--
I'm super proud of you for your story. The boy was very typical in breaking a window! Oh well, it's still such a happy ending!!! I did have two questions though:
1. What color was the boy's cape?
2. What did the princess look like? (I hope she didn't have a frog face!!!!)

Love,
Uncle Joel

Anonymous said...

Charis,
Thank you for sharing your story. I hope you don't mind, I shared your story with a teacher from New Zealand and a 2nd grade teacher we all loved it. I was impressed with how well you use punctuation and that your story has a beginning, a middle and an end. I was wondering what the boy had in his bag?

Some stories you might like are the Paper Bag Princess by Robert Munsch and Cinder Edna by Ellen Jackson.

I am looking forward to your next story.

Love,
Aunt Ski

Anonymous said...

What a great story Charis!