January 25, 2007

A Day to Relax and Catch Up

I'm not attending our ladies' Bible study this morning. The kids all slept until 8:15 or later. Usually we leave around 8:30, but I had had the nagging feeling last night that I may need to either stay home or else skip the breakfast/fellowship part of the morning and just attend the teaching and small group discussion. It seems we've been running around a lot, and I was questioning the wisdom of putting my kids in child care for the third time this week.

After a wonderful quiet time (I too slept in, waking around 6:20 instead of about an hour to an hour and a half earlier), I settled on the plan of just going late and having an unhurried breakfast with the kids. However, when I went to wake Charis, she sat up partway and coughed a terrible-sounding cough, like a dog barking, and gave me a piteous look. She said her throat hurt also. I immediately scrapped my plans to attend Bible study at all, made her some hot tea with honey, and served her breakfast in bed, much to her delight.

Arden made his appearance shortly after all this. Tobin had been the first one awake at 8:15. This is nearly unheard of, to have ALL of the kids sleep past 8:00!! Especially Arden. He typically wakes at 6 or 6:30 to go potty and can't get back to sleep.

Anyway, the boys are playing amazingly well together in the family room, building a Lincoln Log house, while Charis sits in bed, happily reading A Bear Called Paddington, which I brought to her after she finished her breakfast. It's from my own library of books from my childhood...I love that she's enjoying so many of them herself now.

I feel as if I've been given a gift of time! I plan to cuddle and read to the boys on the couch, and maybe Charis and I can work on her pine needle basket project later. That kit was a gift from my Aunt Judith for Christmas, and we started working on it Monday. It's looking good so far if I do say so myself, though it's not a project I would have chosen personally because I despise needlework! But Charis adores anything resembling sewing, and this is definitely something I need to help her with. When we finish, I'll take a picture and post it.

Also on my new agenda for the day are making chocolate chip cookies, doing a load of laundry that originally would have had to wait until tomorrow, and cleaning the bathrooms and floors. I have a scrapbooking club meeting at my house tonight, so now I can get the place cleaned up without stressing about time and neglecting all the fun parts of being a mom in the meantime! Wahoo!

No comments: