May 11, 2011

Good for the Soul

This pregnancy has been the absolute WORST as far as my commitment to exercise!  I spent the first trimester feeling nauseated and extremely exhausted...not to mention it was COLD outside, making me less than excited about opening the door to go for a walk, let alone a run (which I did frequently in the early stages of past pregnancies).  Before the end of the first trimester, we began a new diet, which made me even more exhausted because of all the work involved, but at least my nausea disappeared.

The cold weather, however, lingered.  And while I attempted to do P90X Yoga with Ted now and then, I found getting up so early to be so much more difficult than it had been in the past.  I finally gave up and resigned myself to a flabby pregnancy, hoping that our new diet would help offset my lack of exercise.

Well.  I have now become part of the Varicose Veins club, and the discomfort behind my right knee drove me to do a bit of research.  Surprise!  Exercise is supposed to help.  Sigh.  I just couldn't bring myself to get up and do a DVD or Wii workout, though.  And days upon days of rain meant going outside happened only out of necessity.

Early this week I began thinking about the few mornings the week before Ted left for training that I had gotten out for a morning walk.  (He was on leave, and we were taking it easy with school, so I didn't have to get up at a ridiculous hour; plus, I didn't have to worry about what was happening with the kids.)  I really, REALLY enjoyed being outside in the fresh air, seeing the sun rise and some early signs of spring (which didn't seem to last long, as the cold weather and rains came roaring back...thank you, La Nina).  It made me feel energetic again, even if I wasn't running--and I found I really was missing being able to run!  It's not so wise to take up running at this point in one's pregnancy, however, so I gave it some thought and prayed that the Lord might help me do SOMETHING in the way of exercise.  I know I need to take care of myself...it's going to be a looooong year ahead of us, and I have to stay healthy and sane!

So, yesterday and today both I got up at my usual time--and that's the kicker!  I've been waking at 5 a.m., but somehow "haven't had time" to exercise!  I decided it would be too depressing to wander around the neighborhood in the dark, so I did my usual hot-tea-and-quiet-time routine and THEN headed out.  Yesterday I walked about 15 minutes, then poked my head inside the house to make sure all was still quiet, then went back outside for another 15 minute walk.  Today I just stayed out for 30 minutes.

The walks were wonderful!  I'm hooked!  Best of all, the Holy Spirit prompted me to bring the little spiral note book I got for the purpose of Scripture memory.  I had written out Psalm 145 at the beginning of the year, intending to memorize it, but as life became more complicated, I set aside that project.  However, I have now discovered a wonderful way to exercise my body, mind, AND spirit...I've been working on memorizing the verses as I walk.  I'm already about halfway through the Psalm!  Praise the Lord!

"I will exalt you, my God the King;
I will praise your name forever and ever.
Every day I will praise you
And extol your name forever and ever.
Great is the Lord, and most worthy of praise;
His greatness no one can fathom.
One generation will commend your works to another;
They will tell of your mighty acts.
They will speak of your glorious splendor,
And I will meditate on your wonderful works.
They will tell of the power of your awesome works,
And I will proclaim your great deeds.
They will celebrate your abundant goodness
And joyfully sing of your righteousness.
The Lord is gracious and compassionate,
Slow to anger and rich in love.
The Lord .... [??  Forgot this line!  Arg!  And it was one I didn't think I'd forget.]
He has compassion on all He has made.
All you have made will praise you, o Lord,
Your saints will extol you.
They will tell of the glory of your kingdom
And speak of your might,
So that all men might hear of your mighty acts
And the glorious splendor of your kingdom.
Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom;
Your dominion endures through all generations."

That's as far as I've gotten to this point, and I typed it from memory after not having reviewed it since this morning. :-)  Check me and see how I did!

1 comment:

As For Me and My House said...

Yay for you! I LOVE to walk too. One of my all-time favorite spots to walk is the cemetery....I don't have one nearby here but I walked in the cemetery for four years while living in San Angelo. Lots of great time with the LORD for sure! Brings a different perspective to life when you are constantly being faced with how small the breath of life we live is compared to eternity!