July 04, 2010

Wisconsin Trip

So, a brief description of the time the kids and I spent in Wisconsin a couple of weeks ago while Ted was in Idaho staffing Commission 2010...

As noted in the previous post and on Facebook, the older 3 kids had a blast on their first fishing trip with Grandpa and Uncle John. Total fish caught: 35. Total brought home to actually fry up and eat: 3. The kids actually liked the fish meat, and surprisingly, so did I! It didn't taste fishy at all, and my dad painstakingly removed all the bones, which is something I always hated doing, and getting a bony bite of fish never did increase my appetite for seafood. To view photos of the kids fishing, click here.

Another day Mom babysat Lucan while the kids and I, along with John and Beth, went to see Toy Story 3. It was a great movie! If you enjoyed the first 2, you'll love this sequel. Mr. Tortilla Head is just too funny! The ending is poignant enough to bring a tear or two to the eyes of parents, so be forewarned: tissues may be necessary!

We also attended the annual Patriotic Concert at my parents' church, which meant seeing my dad in his Army uniform as he participated in the Color Guard during various parts of the show. Kenna and Lucan got to be in the nursery (whew), but the older kids sat through the 90-minute program fairly well. I think the boys only asked me about 8 times when it was going to be over, and all of those within the last 20 minutes! They always enjoyed looking for Grandpa, and the video and song lyrics on the screens helped them stay with the program pretty well. Actually, it was kind of a nice way to introduce our American History Core for next year, with "appearances" from Washington, Jefferson, Franklin, and Lincoln!

Staying at the cabin really did work very well for all of us. The kids slept GREAT in their beds, despite all being in one room, but since the beds were all spread out, it actually prevented the talking and giggling that usually occurs at home. Lucan slept just fine in the pack-n-play, even sleeping until 7:00 a couple of mornings.

On Saturday (June 26), it was time to drive home. Dad brought Mom to the cabin, and we loaded her and her stuff into the Suburban and headed back to Ohio. It was SOOO nice to travel with another adult! For one thing, I did enjoy the chance to visit with her, but it also made little things (like potty stops!) so much easier! The trip was pretty uneventful, and the kids were once again really great little travelers. We swung by a Chick-fil-A drive-thru for their dinner, then I picked up some groceries and Chinese take-out for Mom and me to have after the kids were settled in bed.

By the time all that was done, it was time for me to drive to the Cincinnati airport to pick up Ted, whose flight landed at 10:30 p.m.! I was so happy to have him drive back home after all the driving I had done that day! It was actually nice that we had such a long drive home, as it gave us a good chance to get caught up from being away from each other all week. Commission was once again a wonderful time, and if you'd like to hear more, just ask Ted. :-)

No comments: